Welcome!

I review all genres and I post them in 30 spots. Check out previous posts and I'm sure you'll find several books to catch your interest. I am a published reviewer and an award winning one. I am one of the best reviewers around. CELEBRATING 14 YEARS OF BOOK REVIEWS!!

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Devious by Lisa Jackson

   New Orleans has always been a place where anything seems possible, but no one expected to find nuns dead in a chapel.  It seems someone has a grudge. Rick Bentz and his partner Reuben Montoya  are called to St. Marguerite's church and the site of the first murder. Unfortunately, Montoya knows the deceased and several others at St. Marguerite's.  He should let someone else work the case, but this is personal. These people were from his past.  The investigation starts off rough and just gets rougher. Nothing is as it seems at St. Marguerite's.  The first body is Sister Camille, an ex party girl getting ready to take her final vows, or was she?  Soon a pattern become evident and working on every lead they get, Bentz and Montoya do their best to figure out this mystery before the killer strikes again. 


   This book is FILLED with characters. I'd be so bold as to say they could have their own who-dun-it dinner party. The story is solid and intricate.  That being said, let me move on to the issues I found.


   I did find issues. The book is long winded and full of unnecessary things. This one is 527 pages. You read it right...527. Out of that, Lisa Jackson could have cut about 200 pages at least and had a better book.  There are at least 5 stories being told in this one book and I believe it takes away from the basic story of nuns being murdered.  It also drags in places. 


    I gave this one 3 out of 5 books because it just simply wasn't bestseller quality. 

4 comments:

  1. I have learned so much reading your reviews. Simply delicious. When I see lots of five-of-fivers, I wonder if you are getting soft. Then a three-bee comes along and I flinch, like, "Maybe I made those same mistakes and held back an otherwise good book". I'm on the edge of my seat every time I access your amazing blog-page.

    Love,
    MABanak

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michael! I'm thrilled you follow my blog. I know it may seem as though I give 5 of 5's easily but I don't. A book has to really have touched me with the story, had awesome characters and kept my attention. In my lifetime I've literally read thousands of books so it takes a lot to capture my mind. This particular book went awry and because of that got 3. Thank you for the kind words and for letting me know your thoughts I do appreciate it so much. I am curious to know you, especially since you signed "Love". *smile* Usually only close friends say that. Hugs and love, Melanie

      Delete
  2. Hi Melanie. I suppose all bloggers and book reviewers are nice people, but there is something very authentic about what you do. In the next edition of my novel, I want to make refinements based on what I have learnt from you. Just little things.

    An early draft of my novel had a curve-ball, hanging ending, and my co-author and I scuttled it for something better. Your recent review of another novel confirmed our instincts, even if it wasn't exactly the same thing.

    About me, I'm an engineer who fell in love with land surveying, a fun but very challenging line of work.

    Though I live in Illinois/Missouri, I made friends with a wonderful church in England, a strict congregation with an abundance of ladies. One of the sisters there got me into the habit of closing with "love" whenever I felt like it. I think it's possible to come to a place in your life, like I have, where romance (with all its empty promises) is kept in the closet, like that mad uncle, and thus it is much easier to sincerely love all people. Kind of like Christ did.

    Hope that made sense for you : - )

    I'm tickled pink that you have been recognized as of late. In 5 years you will rule Amazon! Your concise and penetrating analyses have made me want to write more.

    Your friend,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Michael,
      Makes perfect sense to me. I'm one who signs "love" or hugs to everyone. Thank you again for all your kind words. I'm glad you get something out of my reviews. I can't wait to get started on your book. Never give up on romance or love Michael. It's there, for everyone. I'd like to rule Amazon one day! *grin* You are a very dear friend!
      Love, Mel

      Delete